Full Day Hikes
Frequently asked questions
Why use a hiking guide on Table Mountain?
- Our guides are experienced and qualified mountain leaders, trained in First Aid and wilderness emergencies, allowing you to enjoy your spectacular surroundings while in safe hands.
- Drawing on our knowledge of the flora, fauna, geology, history, hidden gems and photo spots will make your trip much more memorable than simply following the trails blindly
- If you aren't sure what route to take our guides will be able to discuss and find the best hike for your abilities and expectations.
- Our knowledge of the local weather conditions and forecasts allows us to make informed decisions regarding route choices and times.
- Safety - there have been isolated instances of crime on Table Mountain so it is best to hike in groups with guides or locals who know which areas to avoid and can advise you on safe hiking practices.
Do I need to book in advance?
The first booking recieved for each day will determine the route we take. Thereafter you may either choose to join that hike or book your chosen route on another available day. So if you have a specifc route or day in mind we advise you to book in advance.
If you are flexible with your route choice or unable to book in advance we do take bookings as late as 8pm the night before for morning hikes, and 12 noon on the day of the sunset hikes.
What about bad weather?
Not everyday is perfect for hiking on Table Mountain. Strong winds, heat, cold and cloud can be expected, sometimes all on the same day! We will communicate any weather concerns with you before your hike and arrange a reschedule or cancellation if necessary.
With that said, sometimes seemingly adverse weather conditions can make for the most spectacular hiking days so we still take tours in most weather conditions. If you are flexible with your hiking dates we suggest you contact our guide if you have concerns about the weather over your booking day.
We will not take you out in strong rain, freezing cold, or in thick cloud and will discuss your options of rescheduling or getting a refund if this is looking likely.
How do you choose the starting times?
- Mornings are usually the best time to hike and the mountain is a spectacular place to watch the sun rise so we start most of our hikes at sunrise. This means that starting times vary depending on the season. Please pay careful attention to the latest starting time communicated to you by our guides as we can adjust times for weather or to accomodate special requests.
How do I get to the starting point?
All of our hikes start within 10-20 minutes of the city centre. If you have your own car we recommend driving yourself there. If not, we suggest taking an Uber or a taxi to the starting point. Please contact our guide if you require assistance getting to the starting point or or unsure of the location.
There is parking at every meeting point for those that drive themselves to the start.
What is the best route on Table Mountain?
- With so many different routes available there is no set answer to that question. Our most popular half-day hike is India Venster, with Kasteelpoort being our favourite full-day hike. If you are unsure which hike would best suit you our guides are always happy to discuss your options based on your experience and expectations
What facilities are there on the mountain?
Lion's Head has no toilet facilities at the meeting point or on the mountain. Please take note of this before arriving.
There are no toilets open at the Table Mountain starting point at our meeting time.
There are toilets, shops, a cafe and wifi lounge are available at the top of Table Mountain if the cable car is running, making it a spectacular place to enjoy a well earned coffee, snack or even lunch after your hike.
For the adrenaline seekers out there there is an option to abseil off the summit of Table Mountain, speak to our guide if you would like assistance with booking this activity.